April Highly Recommended Read
This month’s recommended book is Atomic Habits by James Clear. You can watch a time-friendly 8min lecture from James which will cover the main idea below.
I like this book and the way James has picked up the trail left by another fantastic book by Charles Duhigg entitled The Power of Habit (Random House Books, 2013). Where Charles broke down the mechanics of habits at the individual, organisational and societal level, James adds a new layer to the story. With a very pragmatic approach, he helps the reader see how all improvements start small and require integration into already established routines or else they won’t last. He also breaks the process of habit creation into four simple steps; each with useful levers to help strengthen the probability that a specific habit will stick. These four steps are:
- Noticing – bringing things into the conscious awareness
- Wanting – building a genuine desire for making a specific change
- Doing – designing a reutine that works!
- Liking – enjoying the process
If you want to work on your habits and help me gather data for what I believe remains missing join our 14-day habit making challenge. Over the 14 days, you’re invited to learn more about your inner workings and get you closer to something you want to make happen in your life.
Three reasons why I like this book
- It’s a highly practical book that takes a positive psychology approach and focuses on helping you build the habits you want to have instead of focusing you on eliminating what you don’t want. This happens naturally anyway.
- The book has inspired me to want to write the third part to the habits story that I believe is missing from both books above and it also inspired by 50 push-up challenge. I’m proud to say that as I write this review, I can do 28 push-ups in one go and 60 in 3 sets.
- Reading this book has inspired me to write more. It also helped me become a more focused writer. James has a knack for keeping things simple, concise and memorable.
Have you got a book to recommend?
Want to tell us about a book that made a difference in your life and write a guest blog? Drop us an e-mail with
- Title and author
- What is it about and why others should read it?
- Why you like it and/or how it impacted you?